Tuesday, June 15, 2010

THE FINAL BLOG!

For me it started on September 22, 2009. The assignment was to write about why we read. I wrote about how reading takes you into a whole new world, one where you can be whatever you want to be and see whatever you want to see. From there we progressed to writing about everything, developing who we are as a person and what is important to us. We had to learn to think outside the box. Reading other peoples' blog posts on the same topic that we wrote on gives you a new perspective on the way people think. Some people came up with ideas that just blew me away. I would have never thought of that on my own!


As blogs about me morphed into literary analysis about the current book that was assigned to read, it was a way to brainstorm, especially knowing that we would at some point have to write an essay on the book. Throughout the many changes in prompts and books, one thing stayed the same. Books can be related to your life. Every type of book, be it fiction or not, has some aspect that you can relate to. Whether it is a situation a character is in or a feeling the protagonist is experiencing, there is something there for everyone to relate to. If you can’t relate to something in a story, you won’t be able to understand it. It is critical, especially in English, to be able to relate to a book. As soon as you can’t relate to it, you won’t be able to understand anything at all having to do with the story. In every single book we read this year, I have been able to relate to something in it. In The Book Thief by Markus Zusak, there is the following quote:

"Staring at the letters on the cover and touching the print inside, She had no idea what any of it was saying. The point is, it didn't really matter what that book was about. It was what it meant that was more important.

***THE BOOK'S MEANING***
1. The last time she saw her brother.
2. The last time she saw her mother.

To the protagonist, books play an important role in her life. They shape who she is and what she will be. I think that I can say the same thing. I don't have the same experiences as she does, but I can relate to her. I haven't had to fight for the right to the right to read or struggle when I was ten to even learn how to read (I started reading at the normal age) but I can understand why she breaks the law just so she can get a chance to read. Her story is amazing and so unlike the life I live, but I can still relate to her. It is so important for people to realize that little pieces of all we read is something we have experienced. This, no matter how much you read, can help you live your life better. You see how the characters react to whatever you can relate with, giving you an idea on how you should react to the same situation. Now it is up to you to decide how you use the information.

No comments:

Post a Comment