Friday, May 21, 2010

How to Write An Essay

I think I am okay at writing essays. I try, sometimes more than others, but I never fall too far. In writing essays it is really important to be able to have good commentary about your thesis. Without commentary, it is impossible to convince anyone of anything. To have good commentary, you have to make sure that you are not just talking on and on about your quote or restating the same thing again and again. Give the reader something new to think about. Surprise them with your insight and new ideas that they would have never thought of before. Be original.

When writing essays, my biggest problem is not repetitively using words or phrases. Once I come up with a term I think fits the essay, it is nearly impossible for me to resist. For instance, my essay on Romeo and Juliet is on the symbol of masks and how they help support love. It seems as if mask is the only word that can be used to describe the situation. It seems to fit perfectly, but I have to resist using it. It is so hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment